Need something else?

You can request new Accessible Pedestrian (walk/don't walk) Signals for people who are blind or low vision. These signals play messages telling pedestrians when the "walk" signal is displayed. 

In your request, you should indicate:

  • If the requested intersection is near a facility or school program for people who are blind or low vision.. 
  • That the signal being requested is an Accessible Pedestrian Signal.


Email the Department of Transportation.

By Phone

Call 311 or 212-NEW-YORK (212-639-9675) for assistance.

By Mail

Mail your request to:

Department of Transportation Commissioner
55 Water Street, 9th Floor
New York, NY 10041

What Happens Next

City engineers will evaluate all requests. They will not approve or deny requests for Accessible Pedestrian Signals. The Department of Transportation will evaluate the request, rank it, and prioritize it for installation. They will send you a confirmation that the location you've requested is on their list.

  Was this information helpful?   Yes    No