You can legally dispose of your vehicle by taking it to a motor vehicle wrecker or junk dealer.

If you dispose of a vehicle improperly, you may get a summons with a fine of up to $1,000.

Learn about motor vehicle disposal.

Learn about bike disposal.

When turning over a vehicle to an auto wrecking firm, the title form (or registration on vehicles manufactured before 1974) needs to be completed. The name of the auto wrecking firm should appear on the title as the new owner of the vehicle.

The auto wrecking firm is responsible for providing a receipt stating:

  • The car's make and model
  • Vehicle identification number
  • Date of transaction
  • The auto wrecker's name

The receipt is proof that the car was disposed of legally and should be saved.

Metal car parts not containing oil or other hazardous substances can be put out with metal recyclables.

Parts that contain hazardous substances, automotive batteries and tires should be brought to a Special Waste Disposal location.

The City does not accept vehicles donated by citizens.

If you are interested in donating a vehicle, you should contact individual charitable organizations about donations.

  Was this information helpful?   Yes    No