If the Department of Sanitation has never previously collected at an address or if the location has been vacant for a time, you must request trash collection.
New trash collection requests are required for:
- New residential construction
- Renovation of previously vacant residential buildings
- Residential conversions of old commercial or industrial buildings
- New locations for non-profit institutions
Sanitation does not collect from the front of a vacant lot, even if it's designated for residential use.
Your trash collection request must include:
- Contact name
- Daytime phone number
- A copy of the Certificate of Occupancy
It normally takes about 2 weeks to receive a response.
Additional Requirements for Non-Profit Institutions
Non-profit organizations do not need to include a copy of their Certificate of Occupancy but must include documentation of non-profit tax exempt status and one of the following:
- A Notice of Assessment Statement from the Department of Finance verifying tax real estate tax exempt status of their premises
- A letter from a City Agency stating that the agency funds the non-profit at the address where service is being requested
Request New Collection Services
Request garbage and recycling collection service for a private residence or non-profit organization.
Send your request and required documents to:
Department of Sanitation
Office of Collection Services
125 Worth Street, Room 700
New York, NY 10013
Submit your request and required documents to (212) 788-3915.