Highly flammable liquids, such as gasoline, heating oil, and lighter fluid, should never be disposed of in the New York City municipal waste stream.

This includes:

  • Gasoline
  • Heating oil
  • Lighter fluid

Never pour these liquids down the drain or in a sewer.

Contact a hazardous material or chemical waste disposal company to get rid of highly flammable liquids. You can also take them to a SAFE Disposal Event.

You can dispose of your special waste at SAFE Disposal Events (Solvents, Automotive, Flammable, Electronics). SAFE Events are held in the spring and fall.

Only residential waste from New York City is accepted. You must bring a valid ID and proof of NYC residency, such as a phone or utility bill.

Commercial waste and commercial vehicles are not allowed at SAFE Events.

Learn more about SAFE Disposal Events.

Items Accepted

  • Automotive products
    • Antifreeze
    • Car batteries
    • Gasoline
    • Motor oil
    • Transmission fluid
  • Batteries
  • Cleaning products
  • Corrosive liquids
  • Cosmetics or beauty products
    • Hair developer
    • Nail polish
  • Electronics
  • Fire extinguishers
  • Flammable liquids
  • Gas, helium, oxygen, or propane tanks
  • Ink or toner cartridges
  • Lawn and garden care products
  • Light bulbs (compact fluorescent or tubes)
  • Medical waste
    • Medication
    • Sharps (syringes, lancets)
  • ​Paint
    • Paint cans
    • Spray paint
  • Thermometers and thermostats

Items Not Accepted

  • Appliances with CFC or Freon
    • Air conditioners
    • Dehumidifiers
    • Refrigerators or freezers
  • Asbestos
  • Commercial waste
  • Cooking oil or grease
  • Tires
  • Waste generated from outside New York City

Upcoming SAFE Events

Check back in the spring for upcoming SAFE Events.

You can bring motor oil to any service station that changes oil, or any retailer that sells oil. Such locations are required by law to accept up to five gallons of oil per day, per person, for free. 

To report a used oil take back program refusing to accept oil, send an email to info.sqg@dec.ny.gov. Make sure to include the name, location, and any other relevant details about the refusal or other issues (such as charging fees for acceptance, no signage, etc.).

You can also drop off your motor oil at a Special Waste Site or a SAFE Event. Learn more on the Special Waste Disposal page.

  Was this information helpful?   Yes    No