You can report streetlight conditions on all City roadways, pathways, golf courses, and parking lots in public parks.
DOT responds to streetlights conditions such as:
- On during the day
- Burned out
- Missing transformer base doors
Streetlights are maintained by different contractors in each borough. Unless the contractor determines that the streetlight outage is due to a long-term construction issue or a ConEd power issue, repairs should be performed within 30 days.
Orange indicators over lamp posts designate the location or intersection with fire or police alarm call boxes.
Stop Tag Information
Stop tag numbers are located on DOT’s street lighting work order form. They indicate a stoppage in electricity going into the street light pole. DOT notifies Con Edison about electrical outages.
- From November 1 to April 30, on Edison is required to repair 90% of streetlights with no electric current within 90 days.
- From May 1 to October 31, Con Edison is required to repair 80% of streetlights with no electric current within 45 days.
In no case will any streetlight repair under Con Edison's responsibility take longer than 180 days to complete.
Con Edison is responsible for correcting stop tags. To follow up on a street light work order with a stop tag number, call Con Edison and select the electrical emergency option.
- Agency: Con Edison
- Phone Number: (800) 752-6633
- Business Hours: 24 Hours
- Staff is available through the automated phone system at all times. Automated assistance is also available in Spanish. Most languages are available through staff.