You can file a complaint against residences, businesses, City agencies, and non-profit institutions for the following:
- Recycling not separated from trash (manager/owner and tenants)
- Storage area for recyclables not provided
- Containers for recycling and garbage not labeled
- Failure to use clear plastic bags for recycling or black or opaque bags for garbage
- Recycling area signs not posted or maintained
- Recycling instructions not provided to tenants (commercial businesses only)
The Department of Sanitation responds to complaints against residences, City agencies and non-profit institutions in 3-7 business days. Complaints against commercial businesses are responded to in 15 business days.
Get information about recycling.
Get brochures and pamphlets about recycling.