You can return unwanted electronics to manufacturers for recycling or disposal for free. Electronic manufacturers, such as Samsung, Sony, or Toshiba, must accept electronics from residents at no cost.
Cell phones can also be dropped off at any store that sells service plans.
You can find more information about recycling electronics at the store where you purchased the item or at any store that sells the item. You can also call the manufacturer or check your brand's website.
The NY State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC) keeps a list of registered electronics manufacturers and information about their e-waste acceptance programs on its website.
Find e-waste acceptance programs.
Store or Manufacturer Complaints
You make a report to the NYSDEC Tip Line about a:
- Electronics manufacturer that doesn't accept their products for recycling
- Store that sells electronics but doesn't have information about electronics recycling
The NYSDEC Tip Line only takes complaints. It does not provide recycling or disposal locations.
- Agency: New York State Department of Environmental Conservation
- Division: New York State Department of Environmental Conservation Tip Line
- Phone Number: (800) 847-7332
- Business Hours: 24 hours, 7 days a week