Residents of Staten Island can get free curbside pickup of electronics by making an appointment with the Department of Sanitation (DSNY). Appointments are available Monday through Friday, except on City holidays.
Businesses and commercial addresses are not eligible for the e-waste pick-up program. They must donate unwanted electronic items or hire a private carter.
You can schedule appointments up to two weeks in advance. Next-day appointments must be scheduled by noon the previous day. You must place the items curbside after 4 PM the evening before your appointment day.
The e-waste program will accept the following items for pickup:
Computers and Computer Accessories
- Desktop towers, monitors, laptops, and tablets (ex: iPads)
- Keyboards, mice, and pointing devices
- Printers and document scanners
- Cables, cords, and wiring permanently fixed to a device
- Small-scale servers
TV and Video Equipment
- TVs, VCRs, DVD players, DVRs (digital video recorders)
- Cable boxes, cable/satellite receivers, antennas, digital converter boxes
- Cables, cords, and wiring permanently fixed to the TV
Portable Electronic Devices
- Laptops, tablets (iPads), and e-readers
- Portable music devices/digital music players (iPod, mp3 player, Walkman)
- Digital cameras
- Cell phones
- Video game consoles
- Fax machines
- Electronic keyboards
Schedule an Appointment
You can request pickup of up to 20 items per appointment, including 5 TVs per appointment.
- Cathode Ray Tube (CRTs): these TVs have a large back
- Flat-screen: includes LED and LCD
If you need to dispose of more than the maximum number of items allowed per appointment, you can make a separate appointment.
Pick-Up Status, Rescheduling, or Cancellation
You can check the status of your e-waste pick-up appointment. You can also reschedule or cancel it up until 4 PM the day before the appointment. You must have your Service Request number.
Adding Additional Items to a Scheduled Appointment
If you have already scheduled an appointment and have additional items you need to dispose of, or if someone else has already made a pick-up request for your preferred appointment date, you can:
- Place your additional items curbside along with the others on the scheduled appointment date, OR
- Schedule a separate appointment for your other items on a different date
DSNY does not accept missed collection complaints for electronic items. If your items were not collected on your appointment day, you must remove the items from the curb and schedule a new pick-up appointment.
Items that are left out on private property are "unserviceable” and cannot be picked up. You must place your items curbside in order for them to be collected. If you did not put your items curbside on the scheduled day, you can make a new appointment.