The Department of Sanitation (DSNY) hires temporary snow laborers to remove snow and ice from bus stops, crosswalks, fire hydrants, and other locations throughout the City.
You can register to be a snow laborer if you are:
- At least 18 years of age
- Eligible to work in the United States
- Able to perform heavy physical labor
In addition, you are required to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus.
Registration is now open. Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, you must schedule a registration appointment online and follow health and safety protocols, including wearing a mask or face covering, while at the appointment.
You must bring the following to your appointment:
- Two small photos (1.5 inch square)
- The photos must be the same style as those used for a passport.
- Social Security card
- Two forms of identification (original and copy), such as:
- Driver license
- School photo ID
- IDNYC card
- Proof that you are fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus
- Proof of vaccination must be in the form of an official CDC or other government-issued card with your name and date(s) of vaccination, an Excelsior Pass issued by the State of New York, or the NYC COVID SAFE app.
You should not attend the appointment if you have any COVID-19 symptoms.
Schedule a registration appointment.
Pay is $17 per hour and increases to $25.50 per hour after working the first 40 hours in a week. Payment is made by check and normally takes about 4 to 6 weeks, but it can take up to 12 weeks.