Need something else?

If you disputed a parking ticket or camera violation and were found guilty, you can appeal the judge's decision. You must request an appeal through the mail within 30 days of the hearing decision. An Appeals Board comprised of three administrative law judges will review your case.

You can choose to have the appeal in person or by mail. If you choose to have an appeal by mail the judge panel will make a decision based on the information and documents you submit with your appeal application. If you choose to have the appeal in person, an appointment letter will be sent to you.

While waiting for the appeal, you may be charged penalties and interest. Booting, towing, and other enforcement actions may also be taken. You can avoid this by paying the total amount due now, although payment is not required to request an appeal. If you pay and your appeal reverses the guilty decision you will receive a refund.

Once an appeal decision has been issued you have 30 days from the date of that decision to pay during which no additional penalties will be applied.

To request an appeal, you must complete a Parking and Camera Violations Appeal Application.

Make sure you complete all sections, sign it, and include the required documents, or the form will be returned to you and you will have to submit a new request.

If  you are requesting an appeal by mail you should submit all evidence that you wish to be considered with your appeal application. You should also submit a defense stating why you believe you are not guilty and why you disagree with the original judge’s decision.


Download the application in English.

Download the application in ArabicBengaliChineseFrenchHaitian CreoleKoreanPolishRussianSpanish, and Urdu.

By Mail

Call 311 or 212-NEW-YORK (212-639-9675) to request a copy.

If payment is included with your completed application, mail it to:

NYC Department of Finance
Adjudication Division
P.O. Box 3615
Church Street Station
New York, NY 10008-3615

If payment is not included with your completed application, mail it to:

NYC Department of Finance
Adjudication Division - Appeals Unit
66 John Street, 3rd Floor
New York, NY 10038

Requests for an appeal must be made by mail. On your appeal application, you must indicate if you want to have an appeal in person otherwise it will be processed as an appeal by mail.

DOF may deny the appeal request if:

  • It's been more than 30 days since the original decision
  • A previous appeal has already been decided
  • You're appealing a judgment vacate decision
  • Your appeal application is incomplete

Appeals By Mail

If you don't request an in-person appeal, the Department of Finance will mail you the Appeal Board's decision within 30 days.

Appeals In Person

If you want to appear in person, you must check the appropriate box on the appeal application. After the Department of Finance gets it, they will determine whether you can be granted an in-person appeal. DOF will notify you by mail whether or not your request has been granted in 30 days.

If they approve your request, the letter will include the appeal date and time. If you aren't granted an in-person appeal, they will mail you a decision based on the information and evidence you submitted.

In-person appeals are held at:

66 John Street, 3rd Floor
New York, NY 10038
Mon - Fri: 9 AM - 4:30 PM

If a last minute emergency prevents you from attending a scheduled appeal, you must call the Appeals Board to let them know, or you won't be allowed to reschedule the appointment.

Call 311 or 212-NEW-YORK (212-639-9675) for help.

You  will receive the decision by mail, even if the appeal is held in person. If you have an in-person appeal, the decision will be mailed to you in approximately 2 weeks after the appeal decision has been made.

Successful Appeals

If your appeal is successful and you paid the fine, the money will be applied to any violations in judgment. If you have no other violations in judgment, you will receive a refund. Your refund will be sent to you as a check. It takes about 30 days to receive a refund.

Unsuccessful Appeals

If you lost your appeal, you can file an Article 78 proceeding with the New York State Supreme Court. You can learn more in person or by phone. Make sure you bring both the Decision and Order and the Appeal Decision with you. Note that there is a fee associated with filing an Article 78.

  • Agency: New York Courts
  • Division: New York County Supreme Court Help Center
  • Address: 60 Centre Street, Room 116, New York, NY, 10007
  • Phone Number: (646) 386-3025
  • Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM

If you indicated that you wanted an in-person appeal on your appeal request application and you are granted the appeal, you will receive a letter with the date and time of the hearing in about 30 days. Approximately 2 weeks after the hearing, you will get the decision by mail.

By mail appeals will have a decision sent approximately 2 weeks after the appeal decision has been made.

If it's been more than the normal timeframe and you haven't receive the decision letter yet, check the status of your violation. If there isn't any information available in the system, you can request status from the Department of Finance.

Call 311 or 212-NEW-YORK (212-639-9675) if you need more help.

You can request a copy of your parking ticket or camera violation appeal decision.

You must be the registered vehicle owner and provide:

  • Your full name
  • Current address
  • Plate number
  • State the vehicle is registered in
  • Parking ticket or camera violation Notice of Liability number

You should note if your current address is different than the one on the violation or your Department of Motor Vehicles registration.

Your request will be processed in about 10 days.


Contact the Department of Finance.

By Mail

Write to:

NYC Department of Finance
Correspondence Unit
One Centre Street, 22nd Floor
New York, NY 10007

In Person

Manhattan DOF Business Center
66 John Street (between Dutch and William Streets)
New York, NY 10038
Monday to Friday, 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM

Learn more about the Manhattan Business Center.

If you attended an in-person hearing, you may request a transcript of the hearing record for your appeal. You are responsible for paying the cost of the transcript.


Submit a Hearing Transcript request.

By Mail

Mail a letter with the summons number(s), hearing date(s), the vehicle’s license plate number and state of registration, and the respondent’s name or the name of the vehicle owner, to:

New York City Department of Finance
Adjudications Division
Parking Ticket Transcript Processing
66 John Street, 3rd Floor
New York, NY 10038

You will be informed of the cost of the transcript within seven business days of DOF receiving your request. If you submitted your request online, you will be notified of the cost by email; if you submitted your request by mail, you will be notified by mail.

If you wish to accept the cost and order the transcript, you must pay by check payable to “NYC Department of Finance.” The check must be received by the Department of Finance within 10 business days of the date on the letter or email in which you were informed of the transcript’s cost. You must include a copy of your transcript request with your check. A mailing address for your check will be provided when we inform you of the transcript’s cost.

If payment is not received by that time, your transcript request will be denied and your appeal will go forward as scheduled. No further transcript requests for your appeal will be accepted. Please note that the Department of Finance does not currently charge an administrative fee for transcript requests and will not do so until such time as the agency updates its rules or revises its procedures.

If you need more help or have additional questions about an appeal, you can request assistance online or by mail.

Please note that contacting the Department of Finance does not prevent penalties or interest from being added to your violation and does not extend payment deadlines.


Contact DOF.

By Mail

Write to:

NYC Department of Finance
Correspondence Unit
One Centre Street, 22nd Floor
New York, NY 10007

  Was this information helpful?   Yes    No