Need something else?

You can report:

  • Someone leaving unwanted advertisements on your property
  • Menus or other flyers distributed in a building
  • Flyers or others advertisements placed on a vehicle

Private homes may post a sign in front of their property letting people know not to leave ads on the property. Apartment building residents may post signs indicating how many units want to receive ads and where to place the ads.

Signs posted by property owners must meet the following requirements:

  • Must be at least 5 inches tall and 7 inches wide
  • Must be placed in a visible area
  • Must state in clear letters at least 1 inch high, "Do Not Place Unsolicited Advertising Materials On This Property"

You do not need a permit to give out business flyers in a public space. Business owners will be held responsible for any flyers that become litter.

Report Unwanted Advertisements

If you receive unwanted advertisements after posting signs, you can can report people and businesses in violation of the Distribution of Unsolicited Advertising Materials Law. This is also known as the Lawn Litter Law. Advertisers that break the law may receive a $250 fine.

The complaint form and affidavit are available online.

Download complaint and affidavit forms.

You can report:

  • People who distribute menus or flyers in a building
  • People putting flyers or other advertisements on a vehicle

If the person's or group's name, phone number or other identifying information is written on the flyer or menu, you should include this information in the complaint details.

Officers from your local police precinct will respond when they are not handling emergency situations.