You can get basic information about the Staten Island Ferry. If the information you are looking for is not available below, or if you have a more complicated inquiry, you can submit a question to the Department of Transportation.
Face coverings are optional within Staten Island Ferry terminals and aboard the ferry.
Wheelchair and Elevator Access
Passengers with disabilities may board the ferries from both the upper or lower levels of the boats at both terminals. Some boats have elevators allowing mobility between all decks.
Elevators are available on the following Staten Island Ferry boats:
- The Dorothy Day
- The Molinari
- The Marchi
- The Sandy Ground
- The Spirit of America
- The SSG Michael H. Ollis
Elevators are NOT available on the following Staten Island Ferry boats:
- The Austen
- The Noble
- The Newhouse *
* This boat has ramps that passengers with disabilities can use to travel between the first and second decks. The ramp does not provide access to the lower deck.
Service animals and pets are allowed on the ferry. Pets must be caged, muzzled, or crated.
Bicycles and Vehicles
The following rules apply to vehicles on the ferry:
- Bicycles are allowed on the ferry. Riders must board on the lower level at both terminals and wait for the boat in the designated bicycle loading areas. All bicyclists must dismount their bicycles before boarding.
- Cars, motorcycles, and trucks are not allowed on the ferry.
- Electric mopeds (electric motorcycles) are not allowed on the ferry. Riders may transport e-bikes with pedals but are not allowed to charge any e-transportation devices.
Smoking is not permitted on the Staten Island ferry or in the terminals.
Public payphones are in both ferry terminals:
- Whitehall (Manhattan) - In the waiting room next to the restrooms
- St. George (Staten Island) - In the waiting room next to the Passenger Service Office
Passenger Taxi Drop-Off and Pick-Up Locations
- Taxis: Drivers picking up and discharging passengers must use the Kiss and Ride location on the south side of the terminal. Drivers are not allowed to use the Taxi Stand located on Ramp E.
- Access-A-Ride: The stop is on Bus Ramp B.
- United Car Service: Drivers must make pick-ups at the Taxi Stand located on Ramp B. Drop-offs are allowed at both the Taxi Stand and the Kiss and Ride.
- Private taxis and all other car services not affiliated with United Car Service: Drop-offs are only allowed at the Kiss and Ride area located on the south side of the terminal.
Parking Meter Rates
The parking meter rates at the St. George Ferry Terminal South parking lot are:
- Short-term metered parking: $2 per hour
- Long-term metered parking: $16 maximum per 18 hours
For additional parking inquiries, visit the Public Garages and Parking Lots page.
To lease a space in a Staten Island Ferry terminal, contact the New York City Economic Development Corporation (NYCEDC).
Visit the NYC Economic Development Corporation website.
Additional Information or Inquiries
Learn more about the Staten Island Ferry.