Need something else?

  • Dumping in Catch Basin for cooking grease or oil, or other liquids being dumped in a catch basin or street sewer grate
  • Chemical Spill to report chemicals or other hazardous material spill on a roadway, sidewalk, or indoors

You can report an automotive, heating, or industrial oil spill on the street, in a commercial building, or in/on a residential building or property.

If you are a property owner, you can learn more and get assistance with a leaking or damaged home heating oil tank.

You also can get help with an oil or chemical spill in your home or backyard.

Learn about oil and chemical spills.

You can report oil and chemical spills to the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation by phone.

  • Agency: New York State Department of Environmental Conservation
  • Division: Spill Hotline
  • Phone Number: (800) 457-7362
  • Business Hours: 24 hours, 7 days a week

The Department of Sanitation will place sand on an oil or gasoline spill on public property ONLY when requested by police, fire, or other emergency personnel.

Emergency Personnel

Call 311 for assistance.