Need something else?

You can report mold in residential, commercial, loft, and abandoned buildings.

You can report mold in your apartment or rental home or in a public area of a residential rental building.

Before filing a complaint, you should try to resolve the issue with your landlord, managing agent, or superintendent. If you live in a co-op or condo, you should first report apartment maintenance issues to the owner, management company or board before filing a complaint with HPD, as the specific agreements between the coop or condo owner and the board may dictate which conditions are required to be addressed by the board or the unit owner.

What You Need

You must provide your contact information when making a complaint about mold in an apartment building.

Residential Rental

You can report mold in your apartment or rental home.

Public Area

You can report mold in a public area of a residential rental building.

What Happens Next

The Department of Housing Preservation and Development (HPD) investigates maintenance complaints and tickets owners who break the law.

HPD will attempt to contact your building's managing agent to advise them that a complaint has been filed and that a violation may be issued if the condition is not corrected immediately. HPD will also attempt to call you back to see if the condition was corrected. If you indicate that the condition was corrected, HPD will close the complaint.

Learn more about HPD complaints and inspections.

Learn more about mold and other indoor allergen hazards.

Use HPD Online to check the status of a Service Request and to find complaint and violation history.


If it was not corrected or HPD cannot reach you, a uniformed Code Enforcement inspector will be sent to inspect the reported condition. If English is not your primary language, let the Inspector know and they can call a translator to help.

The owner/agent is not notified of the inspection date. Inspectors will also check for the following:

  • Non-working smoke detectors
  • Non-working carbon monoxide detectors
  • Lead-based paint (if there is a child under six)
  • Window guards (if there is a child under 11),
  • Door locks that require a key to exit
  • Self-closing dwelling unit entrance doors
  • Mold
  • Mice, cockroaches, and rats
  • Bars or gates on fire escape windows

Housing Court

If you made a complaint and your property owner didn't fix the problem, you can take legal action in Housing Court. Document all contact with your property owner and HPD about the conditions in your apartment so you can use it in court.

To learn more about Housing Court, go to the Housing Court for Tenants and Landlords page.

Tenant Harassment

It is illegal for building owners to force tenants to leave their apartments or surrender their rights. If you are a tenant in an apartment in New York City who is being harassed by your property owner, you can get information and help.

To learn more about Tenant Harassment, go to the Tenant Harassment page.

Additional Assistance

Rent Regulated Apartments

There is additional support available for tenants in rent-controlled or rent-stabilized apartments. To learn more, go to the Rent Regulated Apartments page.

Housing Rules

For more information about residential property maintenance requirements and tenant rights and responsibilities, use the Housing Rules for Owners and Tenants page.

Questions or Complaint Copies

Copies of maintenance complaints are available for both Tenants and Landlords. For additional questions about a complaint or to get copies of complaints, go to the HPD Code Enforcement Borough Service Centers page.

You can report mold in a loft residence and the common areas of the building.

Common areas include but are not limited to:

  • Stairwells
  • Lobbies
  • Public hallways
  • Offices

You can report mold in a commercial location or an abandoned building.

 Was this information helpful?   Yes    No