Call 911

Call 911 if a person is:

  • On the subway tracks
  • Creating a hazard, such as blocking a sidewalk or ATM
  • Creating a danger to themselves or others
  • Currently located on private property (this is considered trespassing)

    Need something else?

    You can report homeless people who have established encampments on public property.

    An encampment is a structure to live under, including, but not limited to:

    • Mattresses
    • Tarps
    • Tents
    • Camping setups

    Encampments are often under bridges or in remote areas where groups can isolate. In New York City, obstructions and encampments are not allowed.

    You can report an encampment at the following locations:

    • Bridges
    • Highways
    • Parks or playgrounds
    • Outside of residential and commercial buildings
    • Roadway tunnels
    • Streets and sidewalks
    • Subway stations/entrances

    What Happens Next

    Officers from your local police precinct will respond within 4 hours. They will inspect the location to determine if an encampment exists and refer their findings to the Department of Homeless Services (DHS).

    DHS will work to assess and address the condition with city agency partners, such as the Department of Sanitation (DSNY) and the Parks Department. Throughout the process, DHS will engage with the individuals at the site to offer services and support, including protecting and safekeeping any valuable belongings.

    DHS may also update this request and provide Homeless Assistance.

    Learn more about the City's response to encampments.

     Was this information helpful?   Yes    No