The Department of Health will not remove bees, wasps, or their hives from any private property.
If you are a homeowner or a commercial property owner, you are responsible for removing bees and wasps from your property. You can search the internet for a bee removal service or exterminator.
You can make a complaint about private or commercial property owners who have nuisance bees or wasps on their property and do not remove them. You must provide the name and address of the property owner or building management company. If you are a tenant in a building with bees or wasps, you should first contact your landlord or building management company.
You can also report beekeepers whose bees are a nuisance.
Beekeeping Nuisance Complaint
New York City Health Code allows the keeping of honey bees in New York City. Beekeepers must follow guidelines and not allow their honeybee colonies to become a public nuisance. Learn more about bees and beekeeping.
You can report the following:
- Multiple honeybees stinging a person, a group of people, an animal, or a group of animals
- A honeybee colony not residing in a hive structure intended for beekeeping
- A swarm of honeybees
- A honeybee colony in a hive that has been abandoned by its beekeeper
- A honeybee colony in a public path or in the walls of a public structure
- A honeybee colony kept in such a manner to disturb the normal use and enjoyment of human or animal life or property