Coronavirus (COVID-19) Alert

If you are facing financial hardship due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis, you can request that debt collection agencies stop contacting you about your existing debt.

Complete and mail the Cease Debt Collection Communication Letter to the debt collection agency that contacted you.

You can file a complaint about a business that collects debts owed to another person or agency, including non-governmental child support collections.

To file a complaint, you must live in New York City. The business can be located outside of the City.

What Happens Next

To receive follow up on your request, you must provide your address. The Department of Consumer and Worker Protection (DCWP) will mail you a complaint form, which you must complete and return. If you also provide an email address with your Service Request, you will receive the form by email instead. Be sure to check your spam folder in addition to your inbox.

DCWP will consider your complaint a tip if you do not provide your address.

As of June 27, 2020, debt collectors must inform consumers about whether any language access services are available.

You can file a complaint about a business that:

  • Does not inform you about available language assistance services
  • Fails to provide available language assistance services 

Email your complaint to Be as specific as possible about the problem.

If you do not know the Business Name, Address, or Additional Location Details, you can get assistance by phone.

Call 311 or 212-NEW-YORK (212-639-9675) for assistance.

  Was this information helpful?   Yes    No