You can file a complaint about furniture stores and stores that sell mattresses in New York City. Stores must give buyers a delivery date for furniture and mattresses at the time they sign or write up the contract or sales slip. 

Stores that sell used furniture must have a Secondhand Dealer General license. 

You cannot report complaints about bed bugs in furniture or employee behavior.

Under Local Law 38 of 2008, stores may not leave doors open while running air conditioners or central cooling systems.

The City accepts complaints about stores that break this law.

What Happens Next

To receive follow up on your request, you must provide your address. The Agency will mail you a complaint form, which you must complete and return. If you also provide an email address with your Service Request, you will receive the form by email instead. Be sure to check your spam folder in addition to your inbox.

The Agency will consider your complaint a tip if you do not provide your address.

The New York County Supreme Court has ordered Maddy's Home Furniture and More, LLC and related companies to pay $250,000 to a consumer restitution fund.

Affiliated stores include:

  • Burnside Furniture
  • Dubai Furniture
  • El Rey Furniture
  • Furniture Saving
  • La Reina

The NYC Department of Consumer and Worker Protection (DCWP) will administer the fund.

If you were harmed by Maddy’s and its affiliated stores between October 23, 2018 and April 1, 2021, you can get more information by emailing DCWP at

Furniture violations include:

  • Deceptive advertising about financing offers
  • Delivering used, damaged, or defective furniture
  • Failure to deliver furniture
  • Refusing to provide refunds or make repairs

The Department of Consumer and Worker Protection does not accept reports of rude employee behavior. You should report this type of complaint to the business.

For reports of discrimination, go to the Discrimination page.

The New York City Department of Consumer and Worker Protection can help you with complaints about businesses in New York City. For complaints about businesses elsewhere, contact the local Consumer Affairs office or the State Attorney General's office.


Learn how to file a complaint for a business outside of NYC.

By Phone

  • Agency: Nassau County Consumer Affairs
  • Phone Number: (516) 571-2600
  • Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM

  • Agency: Suffolk County Consumer Affairs
  • Phone Number: (631) 853-4600
  • Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM

  • Agency: Westchester County Department of Consumer Protection
  • Phone Number: (914) 995-2155
  • Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM

  • Agency: New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs
  • Phone Number: (973) 504-6200
  • Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM

  Was this information helpful?   Yes    No