You can file a complaint about a school of higher education with the City or the State.

You can file a complaint about the following for-profit schools operating in New York City:

  • AMG School of Nursing
  • ASA College
  • Berkeley College
  • DeVry College of New York
  • LIM College
  • Long Island Business Institute
  • Mandl School College of Allied Health
  • Mildred Elley School
  • Monroe College
  • New York Automotive and Diesel Institute
  • New York Conservatory for Dramatic Arts
  • New York Film Academy
  • Pacific College of Oriental Medicine-New York
  • Plaza College
  • School of Visual Arts
  • Sotheby’s Institute of Art
  • St. Paul's School of Nursing-Queens
  • St. Paul's School of Nursing-Staten Island
  • Swedish Institute: a College of Health Sciences

What Happens Next

To receive follow up on your request, you must provide your address. The Department of Consumer and Worker Protection (DCWP) will mail you a complaint form, which you must complete and return. If you also provide an email address with your Service Request, you will receive the form by email instead. Be sure to check your spam folder in addition to your inbox.

DCWP will consider your complaint a tip if you do not provide your address.

You can report a problem with any vocational or trade school in New York State, including:

  • Career centers
  • Training schools
  • Technical schools 
  • Language schools that teach ESL (English as a Second Language)

  • Agency: New York State Education Department
  • Division: Bureau of Proprietary Schools
  • Phone Number: (212) 643-4760
  • Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 9 AM - 6 PM

Before making a complaint with the State, try to resolve the issue with the college's or university's administration.

You can report a problem that has not been addressed by school administrators. 

File complaint about a College or University in New York State.

  Was this information helpful?   Yes    No