Need something else?

You can file a complaint about contract and quality-of-work disputes with a home improvement contractor. You must live in the City, but the business may be located outside of New York City. 

City law regulates: 

  • Anyone who performs construction, repair, remodeling, or other home improvement work costing more than $200 in the City. 
  • Home improvement work performed on:
    • Private residences
    • Residential buildings with 4 or fewer units
    • Condominium units, co-op units, and rented apartments in buildings of any size

The Department of Consumer and Worker Protection (DCWP) does not accept complaints from businesses against contractors. Learn how to file a business-to-business complaint on the Business Complaint Against Another Business page.

A sample Estimate, Contract and Notice of Cancellation, and Change Order Form are on DCWP's website.

What Happens Next

To receive follow up on your request, you must provide your address. The Department of Consumer and Worker Protection (DCWP) will mail you a complaint form, which you must complete and return. If you also provide an email address with your Service Request, you will receive the form by email instead. Be sure to check your spam folder in addition to your inbox.

DCWP will consider your complaint a tip if you do not provide your address.

The Department of Consumer and Worker Protection does not accept reports of rude employee behavior. You should report this type of complaint to the business.

For reports of discrimination, go to the Discrimination page.

  Was this information helpful?   Yes    No