The Department of Consumer and Worker Protection (DCWP) accepts complaints about New York City hotel contracts and service disruptions.

You can file a complaint about billing disputes with any hotel, motel, or bed and breakfast in New York City.

What Happens Next

To receive follow up on your request, you must provide your address. The Agency will mail you a complaint form, which you must complete and return. If you also provide an email address with your Service Request, you will receive the form by email instead. Be sure to check your spam folder in addition to your inbox.

The Agency will consider your complaint a tip if you do not provide your address.

Within 24 hours of a known service disruption, hotels must notify current guests and prospective guests who make reservations themselves or through a third-party vendor.

The notification must include:

  • Nature of the disruption
  • Duration of the disruption

Hotel service disruptions include:

  • Construction
  • Unavailable elevators, wheelchair lifts, ramps, or bathrooms accessible to people with disabilities
  • Strikes, protests, or picketing
  • Bed bugs, lice or other insects
  • Rodents or other vermin
  • Out-of-order advertised hotel amenities (pool, spa, shuttle service, internet access, or food or beverage service)
  • Out-of-order advertised room appliances or technology (in-room refrigerators, internet, or Wi-Fi services)
  • No water, gas, or electricity

Hotels may not:

  • Charge a fee if guests cancel a reservation due to a service disruption
  • Keep any deposit for an unused portion of the canceled reservation

You can report an undisclosed hotel service disruption by emailing your complaint to Please be as specific as possible about the problem.

The Department of Consumer and Worker Protection does not accept reports of rude employee behavior. You should report this type of complaint to the business.

For reports of discrimination, go to the Discrimination page.

The New York City Department of Consumer and Worker Protection can help you with complaints about businesses in New York City. For complaints about businesses elsewhere, contact the local Consumer Affairs office or the State Attorney General's office.


Learn how to file a complaint for a business outside of NYC.

By Phone

  • Agency: Nassau County Consumer Affairs
  • Phone Number: (516) 571-2600
  • Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM

  • Agency: Suffolk County Consumer Affairs
  • Phone Number: (631) 853-4600
  • Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM

  • Agency: Westchester County Department of Consumer Protection
  • Phone Number: (914) 995-2155
  • Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM

  • Agency: New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs
  • Phone Number: (973) 504-6200
  • Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM

The Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) was renamed to the Department of Consumer and Worker Protection (DCWP). The Agency was renamed to reflect their expanded mission to protect the rights of workers and ensure compliance with labor policy and standards.

  Was this information helpful?   Yes    No