You can file a complaint about people who offer tax preparation services in New York City.
Tax preparers must:
- Post required signage, including Identification and Qualification sign, Fee Schedule (how they compute fees), Disclosures, and Consumer Bill of Rights sign
- Give you the Consumer Bill of Rights Regarding Tax Preparers before beginning any discussions about tax preparation services
- Sign every tax return
- Give you a copy of your tax return
- Give you an itemized receipt
- Return all personal papers to you
- Tell you if they will represent you if you get audited by the government
Tax preparers cannot:
- Reveal any details of the return to any unauthorized person
- Alter a tax return after you signed it
What Happens Next
If you provide an email address with your Service Request, you will receive a notification by email. You may also be emailed a complaint form, which you must complete and return. Be sure to check your spam folder in addition to your inbox.