Call 911
Call 911 to report signs that are down and in the driving lane of a highway.

Need something else?

You can report highway signs, including overhead electronic message boards, that are missing, broken, blocked, dirty, or incorrect.

Damaged highway signs include the following conditions:

  • Broken 
  • Obscured
  • Twisted
  • Faded
  • Graffiti covered
  • Defaced
  • Inaccurate

Report a highway sign that is:

These highways are serviced by the Department of Transportation (DOT):

  • Belt Parkway
  • Bronx River Parkway 
  • Brooklyn Queens Expressway (BQE) / I-287
  • Bruckner Expressway / I-278
  • Clearview Expressway / I-295
  • Cross Bronx Expressway / I-95
  • Cross Island Parkway
  • FDR Drive (FDR)
  • Grand Central Parkway
  • Harlem River Drive
  • Henry Hudson Parkway / Route 9A
  • Hutchinson River Parkway
  • Jackie Robinson Parkway/Interboro Parkway
  • Long Island Expressway (LIE) / I-495
  • Major Deegan Expressway / I-87
  • Martin Luther King Expressway / Route 440
  • Mosholu Parkway
  • Nassau Expressway / Route 878
  • Prospect Expressway / Route 27
  • Richmond Parkway
  • Sheridan Expressway / I-895
  • Staten Island Expressway / I-278
  • Throgs Neck Expressway / I-695
  • Van Wyck Expressway / I-678
  • West Shore Expressway / Route 440
  • Whitestone Expressway / I-678


These are considered streets, not highways:

  • Conduit (Queens)
  • Eastern Parkway (Brooklyn)
  • Fort Hamilton Parkway (Brooklyn)
  • Kings Highway (Brooklyn)
  • Laurelton Parkway (Queens)
  • Mount Eden Parkway (Bronx)
  • Ocean Parkway (Brooklyn)
  • Pelham Parkway (Bronx)
  • West Side (Joe DiMaggio) Highway (Manhattan)

To report a sign condition on these roads, use the Street Sign Complaint page.

The Department of Transportation (DOT) is removing highway signs with lights and replacing them with new signs made of a special reflective material that is only visible with headlights. This helps reduce energy costs and protects the environment. 

Until the project is complete, you can report highways signs with broken lights by writing to the DOT Commissioner.


Contact the Department of Transportation.

By Mail

Mail your request to:

Department of Transportation Commissioner
55 Water Street, 9th Floor
New York, NY 10041

 Was this information helpful?   Yes    No