For most small properties in New York City, the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) is responsible for the initial installation, replacement, and repair of water meters.
There are some occasions where the property owner may be responsible – and all newly constructed or renovated properties must install water meters at their own expense.
- Are responsible for protecting the water meter, ensuring that it is not damaged by freezing weather or negligence.
- May also be responsible for replacement of the meter if it is illegally removed.
- Must follow DEP water regulations. If the owner does not follow regulations, DEP may give the owner a ticket.
The water meter is replaced if:
- The meter cannot be read from the outdoors, resulting in estimated bills and inconvenience to the customer
- The meter is more than 10 years old
- The meter has stopped working
- The meter needs updated electronics