Coronavirus (COVID-19) Alert

The Health Department is currently reviewing all complaints and responding primarily to those that pose an imminent threat to public health or safety.

Non-emergency complaints will be logged and responded to when regular operations resume.

Need something else?

You can make a heat complaint about commercial or public school buildings.

You can make a complaint about inadequate heat in the following types of facilities: 

  • Commercial buildings
  • Government buildings
  • Senior Centers 
  • Drug Rehab/Day treatment facilities 

Complaints are accepted between October 1 and May 31.

You must provide the name and address of the landlord or property owner.

Complaints about no heat in private homes, apartments, and other residential spaces are not accepted.

Commercial Building Heat Requirements

The period between October 1 and May 31 is designated as Heat Season. During this time, the City requires building owners to provide tenants with heat according to the following rules:

  • Between 6 AM and 10 PM, if the outside temperature falls below 55 degrees, the inside temperature must be at least 68 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • Between 10 PM and 6 AM, the inside temperature must be at least 62 degrees Fahrenheit at all times. There is no outside temperature requirement.

NYC public schools must provide heat from October 15 to May 31st.

During this time, classrooms, offices, kindergartens, and auditoriums in use must be at least 68 degrees. Shops, open air rooms, gyms, hallways, and bathrooms must be at least 63 degrees.

You can report public school buildings that have no heat or inadequate heat.

Anonymous complaints are accepted and reviewed, but you must provide your information if you want to be contacted for follow-up.

Excessive Heat

To report a public school building that is overheated, speak with the school's principal or custodian.

  Was this information helpful?   Yes    No