You must be 18 and older to be permitted to marry in New York State. If you provide all necessary documents, you will get a Marriage License on the same day. If your appointment was online, your Cupid account will have a digital download.
Identification Documents that are accepted:
- Driver's license (from the United States or one of its territories)
- Non driver's identification card (from the United States or one of its territories)
- Learner's permit from New York State only
- United States Military Identification Card
- A valid passport from any country
- U.S. Certificate of Naturalization (issued within the past 10 years)
- United States Alien Registration Card with expiration date
- Employment authorization card issued by the United States immigration authorities
All documents must be valid. Expired documents will not be accepted.
Providing Marital History
If you were married before, list all prior marriages on the Marriage License application. You must include:
- Full name of your former spouse, if deceased you must include date of death
- Date the divorce was granted
- Place you filed the divorce
You may be asked to provide the final divorce decree. All divorces, annulments, and dissolutions must be finalized before applying.
The fee for a Marriage License is $35. You can pay by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express), debit card (Visa or MasterCard) or a money order payable to the City Clerk.
Surname Change Options
Various surname options are listed on the back of the Marriage License application. You must state your choice. If you indicate a surname change, the change takes legal effect at the conclusion of the marriage ceremony.
If you wish to change your surname through the City Clerk's office after a marriage ceremony, you must remarry.
The Marriage Equality Act allows same-sex couples to marry legally in New York State.
Learn more about applying for a Marriage License.