Call 911
Call 911 if a senior is in immediate physical danger.

You can report elder abuse of an older adult aged 60 or older. A report will be taken if you are an older adult or if you call on behalf of an older adult who you believe is a victim of abuse or neglect by someone, such as a spouse, partner, adult child, other relative, caregiver, home aide, or roommate.

The Elder Abuse Program assists with: 

  • Financial abuse
  • Psychological abuse
  • Verbal abuse
  • Physical abuse
  • Sexual abuse
  • Caregiver neglect
  • Connecting with mental health services

Other types of complaints, such as a landlord failing to make repairs or complaints about nursing homes, are handled by other Agencies. 311 can direct those complaints appropriately.

If you are a victim of elder abuse, you can contact a Family Justice Center to get information on services such as counseling, safety planning, legal assistance, and more.

To be connected directly to free mental health services, go to the NYC Well and Mental Health Support page.

Call 311 or 212-NEW-YORK (212-639-9675) for assistance by phone.

Elder abuse can be committed by someone with whom the victim has an intimate or trusting relationship.

Such relationships include: 

  • Spouse 
  • Partner 
  • Adult child 
  • Other relative 
  • Caregiver 
  • Home aide or attendant
  • Roommate 
  • Friend 
  • Person with power of attorney 
  • Any other individual who provides support of some kind to the older adult

Elder abuse can include: 

  • Financial abuse 
  • Psychological abuse
  • Verbal abuse 
  • Physical abuse 
  • Sexual abuse 
  • Caregiver neglect

Depending on your needs, Elder Abuse Program services may include information and referrals, advocacy, crisis intervention, and counseling. 

A community-based provider can provide options and interventions, including information on: 

  • Advocacy, information and referrals 
  • Crisis intervention
  • Accessing mental health services, counseling
  • Family, Criminal, Housing, and Supreme Court
  • How Family Court can be used to receive an order of protection without police intervention
  • Legal services 
  • Accessing mental health services
  • The specialized role of each police precinct's Domestic Violence Officer in assisting with family conflict situations
  • Getting assistance with NYPD involvement 
  • Safety planning

Referrals will also be made for ongoing support within the community.

Learn more about services provided to victims of elder abuse.

Services Not Provided by the Elder Abuse Program

The Program cannot assist with: 

  • Landlords failing to make repairs or not providing heat or hot water 
  • Bed bugs
  • Noise from neighbors
  • Complaints against a nursing home or community guardian
  • Older adults with a mental or physical impairment who fail to care for themselves and cannot meet their basic needs, such as getting the proper food, medical attention, and personal hygiene. Such older adults may also fail to pay their bills or maintain a safe or clean apartment on their own.

  Was this information helpful?   Yes    No