Need something else?

  • Boiler Inspection for building owners who need an inspection of a boiler larger than 350,000 BTUs

The Department of Buildings (DOB) oversees the installation and operation of New York City's boilers.

Learn about boiler compliance.

Permits are required to install or remove a boiler.

Before installing a boiler larger than 350,000 BTUs, you must also register the boiler with the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP).

Learn more about DOB Boiler Permits.

Additional assistance is available:

In Person

Department of Buildings
280 Broadway, 3rd Floor
New York, NY 10007

By Phone

Call 311 for assistance.

You must register to install, use, or alter fuel burning equipment which has an aggregate BTU input or gross output equal to or greater than 350,000 BTUs, but less than 2.8 million BTUs.

Fuel burning equipment that uses # 4 or # 6 Oil, or has a BTU input or gross output equal to or greater than 2.8 million BTUs requires a Fuel Burning Equipment Permit. To learn more about this permit, go to the Fuel Burning Equipment Permit page.

Call 311 for assistance.

  Was this information helpful?   Yes    No