You can get information about permits required to film, video, or photograph on public property. The requirements, fees, and process for obtaining a permit depend on where the filming or photography will take place. There are additional steps to take if you plan to film, video or photograph in a City park or at the Staten Island Ferry.

The Mayor's Office of Film, Theatre and Broadcasting provides permit applications and instructions.


Apply for a new film, video, and photography permit.

By Phone

  • Agency: Mayor's Office of Media and Entertainment
  • Division: Mayor's Office of Film, Theatre and Broadcasting
  • Phone Number: (212) 489-6710
  • Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM
  • Leave a message after hours and you'll get a call back during business hours.

The Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) requires that you receive clearance from the administrative authority of the City park in which you want to film. You must fill out and submit the Film Shoot Request Form to DPR.

The appropriate park administrator can review your production details and either approve your application or work with you to make necessary production changes.

You must apply for a permit from the Department of Transportation's Staten Island Ferry Division to film, take photographs of, or videotape the Staten Island Ferry.

All permit applications are reviewed and approved on a case-by-case basis.


Apply for a permit to film or photograph on the ferry or in the terminals.

By Mail

Call 311 or 212-NEW-YORK (212-639-9675) to request a copy.

 Was this information helpful?   Yes    No