Moderate-income Payment Plans
Moderate-income payment plans are available for motorists with adjusted gross income below $58,399.
The moderate-income payment plans require a minimum down payment of 15% of the judgment debt amount owed. The plan may last as long as 36 months.
Hardship Payment Plans
Hardship payment plans are available to individuals who:
- Are unemployed,
- Have suffered the loss of an income-earning family member, or
- Have lost their home due to a natural disaster
Hardship plans also are available to small businesses that have suffered economic losses and not-for profit organizations that have a 501(c)(3) designation from the Internal Revenue Service.
The hardship payment plan requires a minimum down payment of 5% of the judgment amount debt owed. The plan may last as long as 48 months.
How to Apply
If you want to apply for a moderate-income or hardship payment plan, you must submit an application and supporting documentation that must be reviewed and approved by DOFs Collections Division.
You can get more information by contacting DOF online or by phone.
Contact the Department of Finance.
- Agency: Department of Finance
- Division: Department of Finance Collections
- Phone Number: (212) 440-5300
- Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM