Your registration and insurance must be up to date before you make a payment.
If you have expired or suspended registration you must take the following actions:
- Expired Registration
- If your registration is expired, visit a Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office to renew your registration. To find a DMV office, go to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) page.
- Suspended Registration Due to Insurance Lapse
- If your registration has been suspended due to an insurance lapse (failure to make timely insurance payments), you must first contact your insurance company to make sure that your payment was received and that your insurance is still valid. Then take your insurance card to a DMV office so that they can update your information and lift the suspension.
- Suspended Registration Due to Nonpayment of Tolls
- If your registration is suspended due to nonpayment of tolls (Port Authority or MTA Bridges & Tunnels), you must first visit an E- ZPass office and pay the tolls. Then take the receipt to a DMV office to lift your suspension. To find an E-ZPass office go to the E-ZPass page.
Removing a Boot
To get the release code to remove the boot, you must pay your judgment debt, interest, and fees along with the booting fees.
If you have been booted or towed you can pay your judgment debt, booting fees, and other charges online. You must pay the full amount owed. After paying you will receive removal instructions. You can pay online by debit or credit card only.
Visit www.nycbootpay.com to pay online and receive removal instructions for the boot.
Call the telephone number for the Booting Program that’s on the notice. It’s available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
You can pay by credit or debit card, electronic check, or pre-paid card with a credit card logo. If the name on the credit card does not match the name of the registered owner of the vehicle, the card holder has to submit a photo of their driver’s license or other government ID matching the name on the credit card.
After paying, you will be given a release number to enter into the keypad on the boot. You will then be able to take it off.
If the code you were given doesn’t release the boot, call the booting program back to confirm your information, such as the location of your booted vehicle or the release code.
- Agency: Department of Finance
- Division: Booting Program
- Phone Number: (646) 517-1000
- Business Hours: 24 hours, 7 days a week
You can pay your judgment debt, booting fees, and other charges in person with cash, check, money order, or credit, debit or pre-paid card at any DOF Business Center. No appointment is necessary, however you can schedule an appointment to ensure social distancing at the centers.
After paying, a DOF representative will contact the booting company to release the boot. Then a support vehicle will be dispatched to the location where the vehicle is booted and the driver will remove the boot. These assisted boot releases may take between 2 to 6 hours to complete, depending on the support vehicle’s availability, time of day, or traffic conditions.
If you have waited more than 6 hours for a support officer, call the booting program to confirm your information, such as the location of your booted vehicle.