Owners of residential buildings are required to post a "Notice of Interruption of Essential Services" with information about repairs or other work that will cause a disruption of any heat, hot water, cold water, gas, or electricity service that is expected to last at least two hours.
The notice must be updated as needed and posted:
- At least 24 hours before the interruption of service is expected to begin
- Until the service interruptions ends
- In the common area of the building
- In both English and Spanish
If the interruption of service is expected to last less than two hours or is due to emergency repairs or work, advanced notice is not required. However, the notice should be posted as soon as possible after work starts.
The notice must include:
- The service that will be interrupted
- The type of work being done
- The expected start and end dates of service interruption
You can get a sample notice online or by mail.
Get additional information about Local Law 47 of 2015.
Download a sample "Notice of Interruption of Essential Services" sign.
Call 311 to request a paper copy.