Need something else?

You can report a blocked sidewalk or street.

Sandwich and A-frame signs must be positioned within the 5-foot area adjoining the building.

You can report a business that repeatedly places an advertising sign more than 5 feet from the building. You must provide the days and times this problem occurs.

You can report an ATM located on a sidewalk.

An ATM must be located in a store or behind a building’s property line. The property owner is responsible for making sure that the ATM is in the correct location. 

What Happens Next

The Department of Transportation will inspect the reported location and will issue a summons to the property owner if the ATM does not comply with regulations.

The fine for not removing an illegal ATM is $2,500.

Additionally, property owners may be charged an additional $5,000 fine for every five days that the violation continues.

Active construction sites and repair activity must allow enough room for sidewalk and street traffic to pass.

What You Can Report

You can report:

  • Sidewalks or streets that are blocked by construction equipment, barriers, or activity.
  • Items left behind after construction was completed.
  • Construction vehicles blocking street traffic at a construction site. If the construction vehicles are not at a construction site, use the Illegal Parking page.
  • Large dumpsters with construction debris blocking the street, sidewalk, crosswalk, or bus stop

Report construction work blocking a:

Report a construction dumpster blocking a:

What Happens Next

The Department of Transportation will inspect the site to determine whether it is complying with construction permit regulations and will issue violations when appropriate.

You can report overgrown grass or weeds that are overflowing onto the sidewalk from the property next to it. The grass or weeds must be blocking the path of pedestrians and making the sidewalk very difficult to use.

Businesses and commercial buildings must keep sidewalk areas free of objects that could impede pedestrian traffic.

With the exception of “zero sidewalk display” streets, stores are allowed to display merchandise on the sidewalk.

The display must not:

  • Extend more than 3 feet into the sidewalk from the building
  • Be higher than 5 feet

Businesses that participate in the Open Storefronts Program may display merchandise on sidewalks if:

  • Objects or goods are directly next to the building
  • Objects or goods extend no more than 5 feet from the property line
  • An 8-foot clear path is maintained for pedestrians

What You Can Report

You can report sidewalks or streets that are blocked by:

  • Large sidewalk displays
  • Merchandise 
  • Bins
  • Racks
  • Coin-operated rides

What You Can’t Report

You can’t report street vendors or peddlers blocking the street or sidewalk with this request form. Please visit the Vendor Complaint page to report this issue.

Zero Sidewalk Display Streets

Certain locations are designated "zero sidewalk display" streets, meaning stores cannot display items on the sidewalk.

Zero sidewalk display street rules do not apply to business owners authorized to participate in the temporary Open Storefronts program. Participants must follow the siting criteria for Open Storefronts instead.

You can find out if your business is on a zero sidewalk display street.

Call 311 for assistance.

You can report outdoor dining setups that are blocking the sidewalk or street zones.

Blocked Sidewalk

Sidewalk seating must maintain an 8-foot path for pedestrians free from obstructions between the seating and the curb.

Seating also can’t block:

  • Bike racks
  • Bus stop shelters or waiting areas
  • Siamese water connections
  • Sidewalk grates
  • Utility covers

Blocked Street Zones

Open Restaurants with on-street seating can’t block:

  • Bike lanes
  • Bus stops
  • Car share or bike share spaces
  • Crosswalks or vehicle turning zones
  • Fire hydrants
  • No Standing or No Stopping Anytime zones

You can report basketball hoops or similar personal property blocking sidewalks or streets.

What Happens Next

Officers from your local police precinct will respond when they are not handling emergency situations.

You can report sidewalk stands, also known as stoop line stands, that are blocking the sidewalk

Businesses must have a Stoop Line Stand License to sell fruits, vegetables, cut flowers, soft drinks, ice cream, or confectionery from sidewalk stands. The stands must be within specific boundaries to keep public sidewalks clear.

What Happens Next

If you provide an email address with your Service Request, you will receive a notification by email. You may also be emailed a complaint form, which you must complete and return. Be sure to check your spam folder in addition to your inbox.

Trash and recycling bags, bulk items, and containers, including dumpsters, may only be set out on the sidewalk at specific times.

  • Residential properties may set out trash and recycling bags and bins curbside starting at 4 PM the evening before their collection day
    • If pickup is before 4 PM, residents must retrieve bins by 9 PM.
    • If pickup is after 4 PM, residents must retrieve bins by 9 AM the following morning.
  • Commercial properties may set out trash containers for collection:
    • 1 hour before an establishment closes if the private carter picks up after closing
    • Within 2 hours of the actual collection if the private carter picks up during the day

Bags and containers must never block the sidewalk for pedestrians or be placed in the street.

What You Can Report

You can report residents and businesses that repeatedly put trash and recycling materials in the street or that block the sidewalk with:

  • Trash bags and bins
  • Dumpsters
  • Discarded merchandise

What You Can’t Report

You can’t report:

  • Bags or containers on a property’s collection day unless the sidewalk is completely blocked
  • A one-time occurrence. The problem must be chronic, and you must include the days and times in your report.

  Was this information helpful?   Yes    No