If a family member of an incarcerated person in Department of Correction (DOC) custody has died or is seriously ill, you can ask the Social Service Office at the facility where the incarcerated person is held to notify him or her. They will send either a chaplain or a social worker to talk to the incarcerated person. You cannot speak directly with the incarcerated person.

DOC also reviews requests on a case-by-case basis for an incarcerated person to visit a family member who is very ill and in a hospital or to attend a family funeral. 


Request an incarcerated person notification or visit.

By Phone

Call 311 or 212-NEW-YORK (212-639-9675) for assistance.

The only way to contact an incarcerated person directly is by mail or by visiting. Family and friends cannot call an incarcerated person. Incarcerated people have access to phones to make out-going phone calls at designated times.

To look up an incarcerated person's mailing address, go to the Incarcerated Person Location and Information page.

To learn about visiting hours, rules, and travel directions, go to the Incarcerated Person Visit page.

  Was this information helpful?   Yes    No