Red, yellow, and light blue clothing or accessories are not allowed.
The following clothing and personal items are allowed:
- Four sets of underclothing (in accordance with the inmate's sex)
- Four pairs of socks
- Four pairs of stockings, panty hose, knee-hi's (combination) (female only)
- Two pairs of pajamas (male only)
- Two nightgowns or two pairs of pajamas (female only)
- One bathrobe
- One housecoat (female only)
- Two handkerchiefs (white only)
- Two scrunchies (ponytail holder) (female only)
The following items can be sent to all inmates. However, sentenced inmates will only have access to these items for scheduled on-trial court appearances or significant family events:
- One coat (Non-uniform, no blue or camouflage, no leather, No "Carhart," "Dickies" or bubble coats, etc.)
- One suit jacket (Non-uniform, no blue or camouflage, no leather or "Carhart')
- One pair of gloves (For outdoor cold weather, October through April. No work or leather gloves, knit type only)
- One hat/cap (Non-uniform, no stocking type caps)
- One raincoat (Non-Uniform, not reversible, no black, no camouflage and no hoods)
- Two sweaters/sweatshirts (combination) (No hoods or pockets on sweatshirts)
- Two pairs of shorts or cut-off long pants
- Four pairs of pants (Non-uniform, no dark blue or camouflage).
- Four shirts/blouses (Non-uniform, no white, dark blue or camouflage)
- Four dresses (female only)
- Four skirts (female only)
- One belt (Maximum 1 ½" wide, buckle maximum 2 ¼ " by 2", non-elastic)
- One tie (male only) (No black. Not allowed for inmates housed in mental health observation.)
Permitted Clothing Items for Adolescents at RNDC
Adolescents ages 16 to 18 at the Robert N. Davoren Center (RNDC) at Rikers Island must wear institutional uniforms. They are not permitted to wear personal clothing.
The RNDC accepts packages containing underwear, socks, and/or one set of clothing for on-trial court appearances. The RNDC does not accept packages delivered during visits or through the mail that contain any other personal clothing.