You can file a complaint about residential rental agencies in the City that do not post the "Notice about Tenant Screening Reports" sign required by law. 

The sign must include: 

  • If the agency uses tenant screening reports to make rental decisions 
  • Which tenant screening reporting company the agency uses 
  • The agency's duty to tell you if they do not lease or rent to you based on your tenant screening report 
  • Your right to dispute the information on your tenant screening report directly with the tenant screening reporting company 
  • How you can get a free copy of your tenant screening report and your credit report

Other complaint types include:

  • False or misleading advertising
  • Fees or surcharges not disclosed
  • Overcharge

What Happens Next

To receive follow up on your request, you must provide your address. The Department of Consumer and Worker Protection (DCWP) will mail you a complaint form, which you must complete and return. If you also provide an email address with your Service Request, you will receive the form by email instead. Be sure to check your spam folder in addition to your inbox.

DCWP will consider your complaint a tip if you do not provide your address.

The Department of Consumer and Worker Protection does not accept reports of rude employee behavior. You should report this type of complaint to the business.

For reports of discrimination, go to the Discrimination page.

  Was this information helpful?   Yes    No