You can report scales that: 

  • Do not have a current official seal showing that they passed inspection 
  • Are not within 30 feet of a store's prepackaged food section 
  • Do not start at zero or do not come to rest before weight or price is quoted 
  • Are not positioned so you can see weight information and the price per pound 

Stores must subtract the weight of the container, called "tare," from the total cost of the weighed item. 

To file a complaint about scales used by street or food cart vendors, you must provide: 

  • The vendor's Consumer Affairs or Health Department license number 
  • A receipt 

The Department of Consumer and Worker Protection (DCWP) cannot handle your complaint without this information.

What Happens Next

To receive follow up on your request, you must provide your address. The Department of Consumer and Worker Protection (DCWP) will mail you a complaint form, which you must complete and return. If you also provide an email address with your Service Request, you will receive the form by email instead. Be sure to check your spam folder in addition to your inbox.

DCWP will consider your complaint a tip if you do not provide your address.

  Was this information helpful?   Yes    No