Need something else?

You can file a complaint about an immigration service business in the City. 

Complaints can include:

  • Fraudulent or deceptive practices, including 10-year visa scams, offers to buy identification cards to prevent deportation  
  • Failure to complete a written contract before providing service 
  • Failure to give you a copy of each document prepared for you
  • Failure to inform you of your right to cancel the contract in 3 business days without penalty                     
  • Failure to post a bond of $50,000 
  • Failure to post a sign describing consumers' rights 
  • Failure to disclose that individuals providing assistance are not lawyers

You can also anonymously report an immigration service business that is committing fraud or using deceptive practices. 

Immigration service businesses cannot guarantee government action, such as:

  • Granting of residency
  • Visas
  • Passports
  • Citizenship
  • Any other immigration status

Immigration service providers must disclose that the individual providing assistance is not a lawyer and cannot accept fees for giving legal advice, drafting legal papers, or reviewing documents for legality. Individuals providing assistance cannot represent you before immigration authorities unless they are an attorney or an accredited representative with the federal board of immigration appeals.

What Happens Next

To receive follow up on your request, you must provide your address. The Department of Consumer and Worker Protection (DCWP) will mail you a complaint form, which you must complete and return. If you also provide an email address with your Service Request, you will receive the form by email instead. Be sure to check your spam folder in addition to your inbox.

DCWP will consider your complaint a tip if you do not provide your address.

  Was this information helpful?   Yes    No