Air Quality Action Days are days when air quality may be unhealthy for people who are sensitive to air pollution. This includes people with heart and lung problems, the elderly, and children.
Get the air quality forecast.
Air Quality Alerts
You can sign up to receive daily ozone alerts so you know when air quality may be unhealthy.
Sign up for Air Quality Action Day Alerts.
- Agency: Ozone New York
- Phone Number: (866) 696-6369
- Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM
On Air Quality Action Days, it is recommended that you:
- Stay indoors and do not exert yourself unnecessarily
- Limit driving: share a ride, use public transit, or work from home
- Refuel your car after dark: during the day, pollutants from gas react with sunlight and heat to create ground-level ozone
- Air condition less: set home air conditioner at a slightly higher temperature than normal to save energy and decrease pollution
- Don't mow lawns
- Delay home improvement: painting and spraying aerosol products add harmful vapors to indoor and outdoor air
You can learn more about air quality, pollution, and how to stay healthy on Air Quality Action Days online or by phone.
Learn more about Air Quality Action Days.
- Agency: New York State Department of Environmental Conservation
- Division: Air Quality Hotline
- Phone Number: (800) 535-1345
- Business Hours: 24 hours, 7 days a week