If you live in Brooklyn or Queens, you must schedule an appointment for on-site chipping, disposal, and collection of firewood or any wood from a shrub or tree growing on residential property.
You can put out wood branches for collection that are 1/2 inch thick or more. This includes wood debris that may have been dumped onto private property.
You must follow these guidelines:
- Place wood on the curb between 6 PM and midnight on the night before your scheduled appointment.
- All wood debris must be free of nails, cement, and any other non-wood material.
- Debris must be bundled in bunches no larger than 3 by 4 feet.
- Use twine or rope to tie up the bundles. Do not use nylon line, tape, or other binding material.
- No single piece of debris can be greater than 4 feet long or 10 inches wide.
- Do not put out more than 30 bundles per appointment.
The Department of Parks and Recreation's wood debris program is designed for garden waste from homes. It is not for wood that has been generated from commercial entities. If a commercial property used a private contractor, the contractor is obligated to take care of the related wood removal.
What Gets Bundled and Chipped
The following wood material from trees and shrubs can be chipped:
- Living, dead, cut, or fallen branches one half inch thick or larger
- Logs, stumps, roots, or any other material one half inch thick or larger
Schedule an Appointment
Status of Pickup Appointment
In order to check the status of a wood disposal appointment, you must have your transaction number and provide the daytime phone number given when the appointment was made.
Cancellation of Pickup Appointment
In order to cancel a wood disposal appointment, you must contact the appropriate borough forestry office.
Call 311 for assistance by phone.
Missed Pickup Appointments
Missed By City
If the City missed your scheduled appointment, leave the bundle curbside. Crews usually come the day after a missed appointment.
Be sure to keep a copy of your initially scheduled appointment.
Missed By Customer
If you missed a pickup appointment, you must schedule a new appointment in order to avoid getting a violation.
If the bundle is curbside, you should bring it back inside until you have scheduled the new pickup date.