Need something else?

If you own a store or a commercial business, you must either hire a private carter to collect your trash and recyclables or register as a self-hauler with the Business Integrity Commission (BIC). 

Commercial waste put out for private collection should be placed at the curb for collection at the appropriate set-out times.

Get a list of licensed and registered carting companies.

The Department of Sanitation (DSNY) changed the usual time for businesses placing trash out at the curb for private carter collection. The new set-out times will help keep city streets clean and reduce food sources for rats.

Under the new rules, businesses that place waste at the curb have two options:

  • If using a container with a secure lid, place waste at the curb 1 hour before closing, or
  • If putting bags directly on the curb, place waste out after 8 PM

The new set-out times went into effect on April 1, 2023.

Enforcement Grace Period

The 30-day enforcement grace period ended on May 1, 2023. 

Policy Feedback

You can submit feedback to DSNY about the new set-out time policy.

Businesses that use the services of a private carter must post a decal that clearly states the carter's name and the days and times that the refuse is picked up.

Merchants who transport their refuse personally must post their Business Integrity Commission Self-Hauler registration.

Businesses that throw away less than 20 gallons of garbage per week may share private carter service with other businesses.  The private carter must offer the businesses a written contract and free decal. 

If multiple businesses share a carter, they should set up a single place to put garbage. Businesses must keep a copy of the contract and provide it to Department of Sanitation staff on request.

Some New York City businesses must separate their organic waste.

Your business may be required to follow commercial organics rules if it is a:

  • Food service establishment, such as a restaurant, deli, or cafeteria
  • Food service vendor in an arena or stadium
  • Food preparation location
  • Food manufacturer
  • Food wholesaler
  • Retail food store, such as a grocery store
  • Catering establishment
  • Temporary public event

You can arrange for collection by a private carter, transport organic waste yourself, or process the material on-site.

Learn more about commercial organics rules.

On-Site Processing

If you choose to process organic material on-site, you must register with the Department of Sanitation within 30 days of installing on-site processing equipment.

Download the Commercial Organics On-Site Processing registration form.

If you are a business, you are required to recycle certain materials and make sure, to the best of your ability, that the items are properly handled by your private carter. 

You must also post easily visible recycling signs and provide clearly labeled recycling containers, so that both employees and customers know what and where to recycle.

You are required to recycle:

  • Aluminum foil products (wrap and trays).
  • Glass bottles and jars.
  • Cardboard (shoe boxes, food boxes, tubes, file folders, egg cartons, trays, corrugated cardboard boxes, cardboard from product packaging).
  • Pizza boxes (remove and throw away soiled liner).
  • Paper cups.
  • Paper (magazines, catalogs, phone books, paper bags, mail, envelopes, wrapping paper, receipts, soft-cover books, white and colored paper).
  • Metal cans (including soup and food cans, empty aerosol cans, dried-out paint cans)
  • Metal caps and lids
  • Bulk metal (furniture, cabinets, microwaves, dishwashers, refrigerators, etc.)
  • Newspaper
  • Plastic bottles and jugs
  • Rigid plastic (caps, lids, food containers, non-food containers, plastic appliances, mixing bowls, flower pots)
  • Bulk rigid plastic (crates, buckets, pails, furniture)
  • Beverage cartons (milk, juice cartons, drink boxes)
  • Textiles (if more than 10% of total waste during any month)
  • Yard or plant waste (if more than 10% of total waste during any month)
  • Organics (if you are covered by the Commercial Organics Law)

Get more information about rules for business recycling and how to comply.

Some electronics contain hazardous materials, including lead, mercury, arsenic, and cadmium. You can’t dispose of these electronics, also called e-waste, with your regular trash or recycling.

E-waste includes:

Computers and Computer Accessories

  • Desktop towers, monitors, laptops, and tablets (ex: iPads)
  • Keyboards, mice, and pointing devices
  • Printers and document scanners
  • Cables, cords, and wiring permanently fixed to a device
  • Small-scale servers

TV and Video Equipment

  • TVs, VCRs, DVD players, DVRs (digital video recorders)
  • Cable boxes, cable/satellite receivers, antennas, digital converter boxes
  • Cables, cords, and wiring permanently fixed to the TV

Portable Electronic Devices

  • Laptops, tablets (iPads), and e-readers
  • Portable music devices/digital music players (iPod, mp3 player, Walkman)
  • Digital cameras
  • Cell phones

Home Electronics

  • Video game consoles
  • Fax machines
  • Electronic keyboards

Small businesses with fewer than 50 full-time employees, and nonprofits with fewer than 75 employees, are eligible for free and convenient electronics recycling provided by manufacturers. Contact the product manufacturer for more information. You can get a list of registered electronic equipment manufacturers.

Large businesses should first consider donating their unwanted electronics to a charitable organization or school. If donating is not an option, businesses must contract with an electronic waste recycler. When choosing a recycler, look for e-stewards or R2 certification to help ensure that your electronics are recycled responsibly. The NY State Department of Environmental Conservation maintains a list of registered recyclers.

Non-Hazardous E-Waste Removal

E-waste that is not classified as hazardous waste per the NY State Department of Environmental Conservation can be collected by a private carter or you can register as a self-hauler to remove it yourself.

New and existing applicants can make an appointment to visit the Licensing Unit for the following:

  • Application review
  • Picking up/returning/transferring BIC license plates
  • Fingerprinting
  • Signing approval orders
  • Purchasing BIC decals
  • Submitting payment for a bounced check.

Before visiting the BIC Licensing Unit, you must first schedule an appointment online.


Visit the Business Integrity Commission's website.

By Phone

Call 311 or 212-NEW-YORK (212-639-9675) for assistance.

Businesses operating in residential buildings may qualify to have the Department of Sanitation collect their trash and recyclables.

Sanitation will charge you a fee based on the amount of waste.

To qualify for ProFee collection, professionals must have offices in houses or apartment buildings currently receiving Department of Sanitation service and must meet one of the following criteria:

  • Be authorized by law to practice at a residential location that also serves as their home;
  • Be a licensed New York State dentist or doctor engaged in an individual or group practice on the first or second floor of an apartment building;
  • Be engaged in an occupation in the residential portion of a building that has been used for the same occupational purpose since December 15, 1961.

You can get more information about the program.


Learn more about ProFee collection and download an application.

By Phone

Call 311 or 212-NEW-YORK (212-639-9675) for assistance.

Annual Fee

The non-refundable annual fee varies according to the average number of 20-gallon bags of solid waste (including recyclables) produced per week.

The fee schedule (inclusive of sales tax) is:

  • 1 to 5 bags per week: $329.13 per year
  • 6 to 10 bags per week: $611.56 per year
  • 11 to 15 bags per week: $893.98 per year
  • 16 to 20 bags per week: $1,176.41 per year

Billing Issues for Current ProFee Customers

Current ProFee subscribers with a billing question or payment issue can get help over the phone.

Call 311 or 212-NEW-YORK (212-639-9675) for assistance.

You can look up the collection days for a non-profit address that is registered for Department of Sanitation (DSNY) collections.

Look up the collection schedule for a specific address.

If you need to sign up for DSNY collections, visit the Trash and Recycling Collection Request for Residence or Non-Profit page.

Set-Out Times

Non-profit organizations registered for DSNY collections must follow these guidelines:

  • Place waste out after 6 PM in a secure container of 55 gallons or less with a secure lid, or
  • Place waste out after 8 PM if putting bags directly on the curb.

  Was this information helpful?   Yes    No