Need something else?

If you wish to install a new sidewalk, or if the Department of Transportation (DOT) has issued you a violation stating that the sidewalk outside your building needs repair, you will need to hire a licensed contractor to install the sidewalk or to complete the repair work.

The contractor must get a sidewalk opening permit from DOT before beginning the work.

Learn about DOT construction permits.

Call 311 or 212-NEW-YORK (212-639-9675) for help.

The cost of a sidewalk repair permit is $70 for up to 300 linear feet of sidewalk for any one property. The price of the permit covers the administrative cost as well as the cost of sending out an inspector to conduct a dismissal inspection.

Please note that corner properties require two permits if work is to be done on both sides of the property.

If you are the owner of a residential property with three or fewer units and you do not start repair work within 75 days of receiving a sidewalk violation, DOT may assign the work to one of its contractors.

The Department of Finance would then bill you the cost of the repairs. There is no fine or penalty associated with the violation. A copy of the violation is sent to the County Clerk's office, where it remains on file until it is dismissed.

A City contractor may be assigned to 1-, 2-, or 3-family, owner-occupied properties to repair a sidewalk that received a violation. 

To calculate the estimated cost for DOT repair work, multiply the estimated square feet shown on the Preliminary Report by the cost per square foot shown on the letter that came with the Notice of Violation. If any portion of the area to be repaired is a driveway, use the 7 inch concrete cost for that area. Otherwise, use the cost of 4 inch concrete. 

Please note that this is just an estimate. The final bill may reflect additional repairs required to bring the sidewalk to standard.  The price per square foot will vary by contract.

Before hiring a private contractor, DOT recommends checking with the Department of Consumer and Worker Protection to find out if the contractor is licensed and if any consumer complaints have been registered against them.  

Once hired, it is important that the contractor get the necessary permits to do the work.

To check the status and complaint history of a contractor's license, go to the Business Background Check page.

DOT contractors only use concrete to repair sidewalks.

If you have sidewalks made of granite, slate, brick or some other non-concrete material and want the repair made with the same material, then you must hire a private contractor.

If your sidewalk is constructed with a special material, it is unlikely that DOT will attempt to make any repairs. DOT contractors use concrete to repair sidewalks, and may make repairs only if the sidewalk is constructed with concrete.

You must also obtain a Landmark Building Alteration Permit from the Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) if the work is done by a private contractor.

  Was this information helpful?   Yes    No