Coronavirus (COVID-19) Alert
New York State is waiving the 7-Day waiting period for unemployment insurance benefits for people who are out of work due to Coronavirus (COVID-19) closures or quarantines.
If you are filing a new unemployment insurance claim, the day you should file is based on the first letter of your last name:
- A - F, file your claim on Monday
- G - N, file your claim on Tuesday
- O - Z, file your claim on Wednesday
If you missed your filing day, file your claim on Thursday, Friday or Saturday. Filing later in the week will not delay your payments or affect the date of your claim, since all claims are effective on the Monday of the week in which they are filed.
Please note that:
- The Department of Labor's website may be slow at times due to the very large volume of claims being filed online.
- The Unemployment Insurance hotline is experiencing intermittent phone issues and long wait times. If your call is dropped, try again later or use the website.
All Career Centers in New York State are closed until further notice. Unemployment Insurance benefits will not be impacted and customers should continue to file for weekly benefits as normal.
- Agency: New York State Department of Labor
- Division: Unemployment Insurance Division
- Phone Number: (888) 209-8124
- Business Hours: Monday - Thursday: 8 AM - 7:30 PM; Friday: 8 AM - 6 PM; Saturday: 7:30 AM - 8 PM
- Staff is available through the automated phone system during business hours. Automated assistance is also available in Cantonese, Haitian-Creole, Mandarin, Russian, and Spanish.