You can file a complaint with the Bureau of Labor Law to recover money if you were not paid the correct wages.

You can also contact the Bureau if you need general information on prevailing wage rates, living wages and worker's rights.


Learn about prevailing wages.

Download a prevailing wage complaint form.

By Phone

Call 311 or 212-NEW-YORK (212-639-9675) for help.

You have the right to receive at least an hourly  As of January 1, 2024, the minimum wage rate for workers in New York City is $16 per hour.

You may have the right to extra pay in addition to the hourly minimum wage, including:

  • Overtime pay: Time and a half pay for working more than 40 hours in a week
  • Call-in pay: Pay for being sent home early
  • Split shift and spread of hours pay: Pay when the beginning of your workday and the end are more than 10 hours apart
  • Uniform maintenance pay: Pay if you clean your own uniform

Your employer must give you:

You have additional rights and protections related to:

You can learn more and file a claim for:

  • Unpaid or withheld wages
  • Illegal deductions
  • Minimum wage and overtime


Learn about wage and hour rights.

File a claim.

By Phone

  • Agency: New York State Department of Labor
  • Division: Division of Labor Standards Local Office
  • Phone Number: (888) 469-7365
  • Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM
  • Staff is available through the automated phone system during business hours. Call volume is often high. If you don't get through, call back later.

You can file a complaint to recover money if you work for a contractor on a construction project for the New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) and were not paid the correct wages.


File a prevailing wage complaint through NYCHA.

By Phone

Call 311 or 212-NEW-YORK (212-639-9675) for help.

As part of a settlement with the New York State Attorney General, some Lyft and Uber Drivers are eligible to receive back payments. 

Find out if you are eligible and file a claim.

 Was this information helpful?   Yes    No