The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) will provide financial assistance for COVID-19 related funeral expenses incurred after January 20, 2020 to eligible applicants.
To be eligible for FEMA funeral assistance, you must meet the following conditions:
- The death must have occurred in the United States,
- The death certificate must indicate that the death was attributed to COVID-19 or be accompanied by a signed statement listing COVID-19 as a cause or contributing cause of death, and
- The applicant must be a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national, or qualified alien who incurred funeral expenses after January 20, 2020.
There is no requirement for the deceased person to have been a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national, or qualified alien.
Get more information about FEMA funeral assistance.
You will need the following documentation to apply:
- An official Death Certificate
- Please note: only the following relations to the deceased can request both the death certificate and the cause of death:
- Domestic partner
- Informant listed on the certificate
- Person in control of disposition
- Funeral expenses documents (such as receipts or a funeral home contract)
- Proof of funds received from other sources
For deaths that occurred after May 16, 2020, the death certificate must indicate the death was attributed to COVID-19.
For deaths that occurred from January 20 to May 16, 2020, any death certificate that does not attribute the cause of death to COVID-19 must be accompanied by a signed statement listing COVID-19 as a cause or contributing cause of death. The signed statement must:
- Be provided by the original certifier of the death certificate or the local medical examiner or coroner from the jurisdiction in which the death occurred, and
- Provide an additional explanation, or causal pathway, linking the cause of death listed on the death certificate to COVID-19.
FEMA began accepting applications on Monday, April 12. You can apply by phone.
- Agency: Federal Emergency Management Agency
- Division: COVID-19 Funeral Assistance Line
- Phone Number: (844) 684-6333
- Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 9 AM - 9 PM
- Call volume is often high. If you don't get through, call back later.