Call 911
Call 911 if there is immediate danger from storm flood water.

Need something else?

Property owners can report a sewer backup or sewage flooding in a building during and after a weather event, even if the condition has cleared and the water is gone.

What You Need

You must provide your contact information so the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) can contact you, if necessary. DEP will not be able to investigate your complaint without accurate information. You should keep records of your 311 Service Request number (begins with 311- ) or DEP Customer Service Request Number (CSR#), if you receive one.

Learn more about sewer backups.

What Happens Next

DEP will inspect the location within 6 hours of receiving the complaint. A heavy rainfall or large snowmelt may cause inspection delays.

If DEP confirms a backup in the City's sewer system, they will start the repair process. If DEP cannot confirm the location or cause of the backup, they may perform a flush of the system to ensure it is working properly.

If DEP confirms the backup was due to an issue with your private sewer service line, you will be issued a Notice to Repair. Property owners own and are responsible for maintaining and repairing their sewer service line, which connects their property to the City's sewer main in the street. Repairs could be covered under your homeowners' insurance or DEP's AWR Service Line Protection Program, if you are currently enrolled.

To learn more about DEP's AWR Service Line Protection Program, go to the Water and Sewer Service Line Protection Program page.

The City does not respond to sewer problems on Roosevelt Island. You can report the problem directly by phone.

  • Agency: Roosevelt Island Operating Corporation
  • Phone Number: (212) 832-4540
  • Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM

If you believe the City was at fault for damages incurred during the sewer backup, you can contact the NYC Comptroller's Office within 90 days to file a claim. If the condition occurred during heavy rain, you do not need a DEP Customer Service Request Number (CSR#) to file a claim against the City with the Comptroller's Office.

To learn more about filing a claim with the NYC Comptroller's Office, go to the City Claim page.

 Was this information helpful?   Yes    No