Need something else?

  • Tax Fraud to report tax evasion or fraud involving sales, payroll, cigarette, or personal income sales tax
  • Sales Tax to learn more about current tax rates and taxable items

You can report merchants charging the wrong amount of sales tax to the New York City Department of Finance. You can also report businesses that are charging a sales tax on items that are non-taxable.

You can also request a sales tax refund from the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance by filling out Form AU-11 ("Application for Credit or Refund of Sales or Use Tax") and sending it to the address indicated on the form. Make sure to include a copy of the sales receipt showing sales tax paid when you send the form.


Download the form to request a sales tax refund.

By Phone

Call 311 or 212-NEW-YORK (212-639-9675) for help.

 Was this information helpful?   Yes    No