An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is used to identify businesses. It is also known as a Federal Tax Identification Number (FTIN). Most businesses need an EIN.

An EIN is your permanent number and can be used for most of your business needs, including:

  • Opening a bank account
  • Applying for business licenses
  • Filing a tax return by mail

You can apply for an EIN through the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). This service is provided for free. It will take up to 2 weeks before your EIN becomes part of the IRS's permanent records.


Apply for an EIN.

By Phone

  • Agency: United States Department of the Treasury
  • Division: Internal Revenue Service Business and Specialty Tax Line
  • Phone Number: (800) 829-4933
  • Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 7 AM - 7 PM
  • Staff is available through the automated phone system during business hours.

 Was this information helpful?   Yes    No