An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is used to identify businesses. It is also known as a Federal Tax Identification Number (FTIN). Most businesses need an EIN.
An EIN is your permanent number and can be used for most of your business needs, including:
- Opening a bank account
- Applying for business licenses
- Filing a tax return by mail
You can apply for an EIN through the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). This service is provided for free. It will take up to 2 weeks before your EIN becomes part of the IRS's permanent records.
Apply for an EIN.
- Agency: United States Department of the Treasury
- Division: Internal Revenue Service Business and Specialty Tax Line
- Phone Number: (800) 829-4933
- Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 7 AM - 7 PM
- Staff is available through the automated phone system during business hours.