If you're a homeowner facing foreclosure due to missed mortgage or housing payments, or if you have questions about foreclosure, the Center for NYC Neighborhoods can provide referrals to free legal counseling and housing. Working with a counselor as soon as possible can help you avoid foreclosure and may help address other related issues. Assistance is also available for tenants who are at risk of eviction due to foreclosure.
Due to COVID-19, there are additional protections in place that may assist homeowners who are at risk of foreclosure.
Counseling can provide homeowners with:
- Help with applying for COVID-19 mortgage relief including forbearance, loan modifications, and financial assistance for homeowners with hardships
- Help with the foreclosure process, including reverse mortgage foreclosures
- Assistance in understanding your non-retention options (short sale, deed-in-lieu)
- Advice on how to avoid predatory lending and protection against mortgage rescue scams
- Loan assistance, available through Sustainable Neighborhoods, a Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) and wholly owned subsidiary of the Center
- Advice and counsel or legal representation in a foreclosure settlement conference and/or court case
- Referrals to trusted real estate brokers
- Assistance in finding and securing alternative housing
- Assistance working with mortgage servicers
Visit CNYCN's foreclosure website.