Need something else?

You can get help if you’re having a problem paying your property tax bill or if there's an issue with a payment that has already been made.

If you need information about your property tax bill or account, you can look up property information online, including:

  • Amount due, charges, and interest
  • Payment history
  • Status of exemptions or credits
  • Tax rate and tax class

You will need the property’s address or the Borough-Block-Lot (BBL) number.

If you are a co-op owner, you must get information about your property taxes, account, and exemption status from your co-op management office.

Payer Information

For privacy and security reasons, the Department of Finance can't provide information about individuals who submitted a payment for property taxes. To find out if a property tax payment was made on your behalf, you can contact the lender who holds your mortgage.

Calculating Tax Paid in a Year

New York City operates on a tax year (fiscal year) that begins July 1 and ends June 30.

There are four quarters in the City’s tax year:

  • 1st Quarter: July 1 - September 30
  • 2nd Quarter: October 1 - December 31
  • 3rd Quarter: January 1 - March 31
  • 4th Quarter: April 1 - June 30

If you need to calculate how much property tax you paid in a calendar year (January 1 - December 31), you must look at amounts from two different tax years. For example, to calculate the taxes you paid in 2021, you must look at bills from tax years 2020-2021 and 2021- 2022. You have to add the amount you paid in the 3rd and 4th quarters of tax year 2020-2021 to the amount you paid in the 1st and 2nd quarters of tax year 2021-2022.

You can find the total amount of property tax that was paid in a calendar year online. Look at the Account History and click on the "Account History Details" link to see the payments that were made during a single year.

If you are a co-op owner, you must contact your management office for further assistance because the Account History has the total amount paid for the entire building, not the amount for each apartment.

You can cancel automatic payments or change payment information online or submit an application by mail.

If you have an NYCePay account it is recommended that you cancel your automatic payments online. Online cancellations are processed within 24 hours.

To cancel a pending withdrawal you must submit the request by 6 PM the day before the scheduled payment.

Paper applications can take up to 3 weeks to process which may result in an unintended automatic withdrawal after you have submitted the form.


Cancel or change automatic payments using NYCePay.

Download Property Tax Automatic Payment (Auto Pay) application.

By Mail

Mail to:
NYC Department of Finance
Adjustment and Discrepancy Unit
59 Maiden Lane, 19th Floor
New York, NY  10038

Call 311 to request a paper copy.

After receiving your payment, the Department of Finance (DOF) will present it to your bank or credit card company so the funds can be withdrawn. If there isn’t enough money available to cover the balance, DOF will automatically attempt to collect the funds again on the following business day.

If the money still can’t be collected, DOF will add a $20 fee to the amount you owe. If this causes you to miss a deadline, penalties will begin to be added, along with the original amount due, until the entire balance is collected by DOF.

If you made a payment that can’t be processed, DOF will send you an email with information about your returned payment. Contact your bank with questions about its policy on bounced payments.

If you’re having trouble setting up an EFT through NYCePay, you can use CityPay to pay by credit card, debit card, pre-paid card, or electronic check instead.

EFT Payment Assistance

You can get answers to questions about paying by EFT, get application status, or help with payment problems.

Call 311 for assistance.

EFT Technical Assistance

You can get help with an EFT technical issue by phone.

Call 311 for assistance.

Late Payments

A payment is considered late if it isn’t paid or if a mailed payment isn’t postmarked by the due date or grace period due date (quarterly payers only). The Department of Finance is required by law to charge interest on the outstanding amount of property tax until it’s paid, even if you didn’t get a bill.

The interest rates charged for late payments are set annually by the City Council. Interest is charged starting from the due date and compounds daily, so the later you make the payment, the more interest you’ll owe.

Interest Rates

As of 7/1/2021:

  • Property with an assessed value of $250,000 or less: 3%
  • Property with an assessed value between $250,000 and $450,000: 6%
  • Property with an assessed value over $450,000: 13%

Interest Dispute

If you missed the payment deadline, interest will not be waived.

If you believed you paid by the deadline and shouldn’t have been charged interest, or if you think you were charged an incorrect amount of interest, you can ask DOF to investigate and reduce or waive the charges.

Call 311 for assistance.

Payment Past Due Notice

If you have $1,000 or more past due on their property taxes or other property-related charges, the Department of Finance is legally required to send you notices about your debt. The notice is about what to do to avoid having a lien placed on your property. It is sent in late October and in mid-January with the Annual Notice of Property Value (NOPV).

Receiving this notice doesn’t mean that your property is at risk of foreclosure. It’s sent to give you information about how and when tax lien sales are held and to outline actions that you can take to prevent your debt from being sold in a future lien sale.

These actions include:

  • Setting up a payment plan to pay off your overdue property taxes
  • Applying for personal exemptions

If you are already in a payment plan, you can ignore the notice's advice about setting one up.

For information about payment plans, visit the Property Tax Payment Plan page. For information about liens, visit the Lien Sale page.

If you are a property owner who had unpaid New York City property taxes and you were impacted by COVID-19, the Property Tax Interest Abatement Program reduced or completely waived up to six months of late payment interest charges on property tax payments due July 1 or October 1, 2021.

The deadline to apply for the Property Tax Interest Abatement Program was November 30, 2021.

Learn more about the Property Tax Interest Abatement Program.

You can get help with errors or issues using CityPay.

Entering Your Information Online

When entering your Borough-Block-and-Lot (BBL) number to pay online through CityPay, do NOT include any of the zeroes in the front of the number. For example, for a block number of “01099,” enter “1099.”

To enter an address, do not use any symbols, such as the number sign for an apartment number. Use only letters and numbers.

Maximum Payment

The CityPay online payment system will not let you pay more than your total yearly tax amount and any agency charges that are due for each property. If you try to pay more, you will get an error message.

Billing and Address Mismatch

Make sure that you’ve entered your address exactly how it appears on your credit card or debit card statement. Your card may be rejected if you enter an address that doesn’t match your bank or credit card company’s records.

If you entered your address correctly and the payment was rejected, you need to contact your bank or credit or debit card company to find out why the payment failed. 

Card ID or CVV Mismatch

Card ID or Card Verification Value (CVV) is required when paying by credit card or debit card. It is a numerical code that is 3-digits (MasterCard, Visa, Discover) or 4-digits (American Express) long. Make sure you enter the correct code from your card.

If you enter an incorrect code, you’ll get an error message. If the payment is rejected, you won’t receive a payment confirmation. If this happens, try using another card or payment method.

Credit or Debit Card Declined

If your credit or debit card payment didn’t go through, you won’t get a confirmation page. Instead, you’ll get a message that says “Unable to process payment. Declined.”

There are various reasons that your card could be declined. Even if you have entered your address and billing information correctly, your credit or debit card may still be declined. Contact your credit card or debit card company to find out why your card wasn’t accepted. You can also try a different payment method.


If a credit or debit card payment does not go through, your bank or credit union may still place a hold on your funds. Different banks and credit unions have different processes and timeframes for releasing holds.

  • American Express: up to 3 days
  • Bank of America Visa or MasterCard: up to 5 days
  • Capital One Visa or MasterCard: up to 5 days
  • Chase Visa or MasterCard: up to 5 days
  • Citibank: up to 30 days
  • Discover: up to 10 days
  • HSBC: up to 3 days for its debit cards and 30 days for its credit cards
  • TD Bank Visa or MasterCard: up to 5 days
  • Wells Fargo: 1 to 5 business days
  • Most credit unions: up to 30 days

If it can take your bank or credit union 10 or more days to release a hold, you can request assistance from the Department of Finance (DOF) after 10 days. If the bank or credit union takes fewer than 10 days to release a hold, you should wait until the hold is released before contacting DOF.

Call 311 for assistance.

If a payment you made wasn't applied or funds weren’t transferred to the correct tax quarter or property, you can ask the Department of Finance (DOF) to investigate and apply the payment to a different bill.

Call 311 for assistance.

If you don’t see your payment reflected on the Department of Finance (DOF) website, the payment may still be being processed. The time it takes for your payment to post in the system depends on how you paid.

Payment Option
Post Date
Bank or Bill Pay Website
Up to 3 weeks
Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT)
2 to 3 days
In Person

Cash: Up to 2 business days

Credit or debit cards: 3 to 5 days

Pre-paid or gift cards: 2 or more business days

Check or money order: up to 5 weeks

Online via CityPay

The day of your online transaction if funds are available from your bank.

3 to 5 business days if you write your BBL on your check or money order and include the coupon from your property tax bill

3 to 5 weeks if you do not include the coupon, or if you do not write your BBL on your check or money order

If it’s been more than the normal time for the payment method and the payment still isn’t showing up in your account, you can ask DOF to investigate.

Do not put a stop payment on your check. If you put a stop payment on your check during this time, not only will you be charged by your bank for the stop payment, but DOF will also charge you a $20 fee and possibly a late payment fee and interest until the balance due is paid. If your payment is not posted, you should contact DOF to check the status before you put a stop payment on your check.

For requests by mail or by fax, include a letter with details about the problem, your address or BBL, and proof of payment, such as a copy of a DOF Business Center receipt, canceled check or money order (front and back), or credit card statement.


Contact the Department of Finance.

By Phone

Call 311 for assistance.

By Fax

(212) 232-1891

By Mail

Mail to:

NYC Department of Finance
Refunds Unit
59 Maiden Lane, 20th Floor
New York, NY 10038-4648

If you overpay your property taxes or other property charges or were given a credit after you got your tax bill, the extra money will automatically be applied as a credit to future payments.

You can give the Department of Finance (DOF) specific directions on how they should apply a payment or credit, or if you would prefer to get your refund as a check, you can submit a refund request.

Refund Requests

You can submit a refund request on DOF's website or by mail. Your claim will be processed in 6 to 8 weeks.


Request a refund.

By Mail

Download the property tax refund form.

Call 311 to request a paper copy.

Mail to:

NYC Department of Finance
Refunds Unit
59 Maiden Lane, 20th Floor
New York, NY 10038-4648

Deceased Owners

If a refund check is made out to a property owner who has passed away, DOF can reissue it to someone else.

If you are on the deed of the property, you can request that the check be reissued in your name online, by mail, or through 311.

If you are not on the deed, you must also provide:

  • Death certificate
  • Proof from the estate or will that you are entitled to collect the deceased persons refund
  • Proof that you were the one who made the property tax payments on behalf of the deceased person


Request a refund.

By Mail

To request a new refund check by mail, send a letter requesting the refund and copies of documentation.

Mail to:

NYC Department of Finance
Refunds Unit
59 Maiden Lane, 20th Floor
New York, NY 10038-4648

By Phone

Call 311 for assistance.

Stop Payments and Uncashed Refund Checks

You may not be able to cash a refund check if an overpayment bounced after Department of Finance (DOF) already sent out a refund check for the overpayment. If that happens, DOF will put a stop payment on the refund check if you haven’t cashed it yet.

DOF also puts stop payments on uncashed refund checks that are older than 6 months.

If your refund check can’t be cashed but you think the money is owed to you, mail DOF a letter that includes your:

  • Name
  • Address (especially if you have moved)
  • Employer Identification Number (EIN) or Social Security Number
  • An explanation of why you think the check should be replaced

Requests are normally processed within 15 days.

Mail to:

NYC Department of Finance
Adjustments and Discrepancy Unit
59 Maiden Lane, 19th Floor
New York, NY 10038-4648

Payment or Credit Request

You can give the Department of Finance specific directions on how they should apply a payment or credit.

Call 311 for assistance.

Status and Assistance

You can get help if you:

  • Requested a refund check
  • Asked DOF to apply a payment or credit to a specific bill
  • Need more information or assistance with a refund or credit

Call 311 for assistance.

You can get help if you paid the wrong amount of property tax or if the Department of Finance removed the wrong amount from your account.

Call 311 for assistance.

Need more help?

For in-person assistance, visit a DOF Business Center.

If you have already contacted the Department of Finance about an issue and were unable to resolve it, visit the Taxpayer Advocate page to learn how to get help.

  Was this information helpful?   Yes    No