Need something else?

You can report a parking meter that:

  • Is out of order
  • Is bent, knocked over, or missing
  • Is defaced with graffiti or has damaged decals
  • Is printing unreadable receipts
  • Is not printing receipts
  • Is not accepting coins
  • Is not reading credit, debit, or parking cards
  • Has fast or failed timing
  • Has a stuck credit, debit, or parking card, or a MetroCard
  • Has a card slot that is blocked by ice (note "slot frozen" in Description)
  • Should be relocated because it is too close to a fire hydrant

What You Need

You will need the seven digit meter number to identify the meter and its exact location. 

The meter number is:

  • Displayed on the screen 
  • Labeled on the front of the meter above the instructions

Please note that the meter number is different from the six digit Zone number on the side of the meter.

If you are reporting a stuck parking card or MetroCard, you must provide your address and phone number so the card can be returned to you.

For reports of meters printing unreadable receipts, choose “No Receipt” in the request form.

File a Report

Credit and Debit Cards

Reports of meters that did not receive authorization for credit or debit card payment and, as a result, did not issue a receipt are not accepted.

If a bank does not authorize payment, the digital readout will read "unreadable card," "not paid," or "not accepted" and the meter will not issue a receipt. The credit or debit card account will not be charged. You can use coin payment to get a receipt from the same meter or you can try your card at a different meter on the same block.


You have approximately 40 seconds to deposit all coins. If all the coins are not deposited and the green button is not pushed within that time limit, the transaction is cancelled and any deposited coins are returned to you.

When the coin payment is not available at a parking meter, it will flash a red light and the display message will read "card payment only." You can pay using a card or try to make a coin payment at a different meter on the same block.

ParkNYC Mobile App

The mobile app needs a good cellular or Wi-Fi signal to operate. If your wireless device does not get a Wi-Fi or cellular connection, or if cellular or Wi-Fi service is not available in the area, you may not be able to create or extend a parking session.

You can move to an area with a better cellular or WiFi signal if you are having trouble paying for parking using the ParkNYC app. If there is still an issue, you can pay by phone or with coins or cards at a parking meter located on the same block or the next block.

You can report a problem with the ParkNYC mobile app or website.

  • Agency: Department of Transportation
  • Division: ParkNYC Customer Service
  • Phone Number: (800) 428-4027
  • Business Hours: 24 hours, 7 days a week
  • Staff is available through the automated phone system at all times.

Credit and Debit Cards

If your credit card is stuck in a meter, contact the bank that issued the card and cancel it. After you report the issue, a Department of Transportation (DOT) crew member will be sent to the meter location to retrieve your card and have it destroyed. If you report a stuck parking card in a meter, DOT will retrieve it and mail it back to you.

Parking Cards and MetroCards

The sale of New York City Parking cards ended on December 13, 2018.

The Department of Transportation will retrieve your stuck parking card or MetroCard and mail it back to you. You must provide your contact information including address and phone number in order for the card to be returned upon retrieval. The exact street address and meter number are requested to expedite the location of the meter.

When a parking meter is out of service, it will flash a red light and the display message will read "machine out of order." You must use a functional parking meter on the same block or the next block to purchase a parking receipt. In a parking field, purchase a parking receipt from the nearest meter to the broken one.

If all parking meters on the block, on the next block, or in the parking field are all broken or missing, New York City law allows you to park for the maximum amount of time posted for that metered space.

Make sure to document the date, time, and meter numbers in case you need to dispute a parking ticket.

You can request a refund for a parking meter that may have a payment problem. 

If you paid by credit or debit card, review your payment history to confirm that your card was charged for the transaction in question. Often, financial institutions post charges after the date of the actual transaction.

Refund requests must be made in writing. Please include:

  • Date and time of the incident
  • Parking meter number
  • Parking meter location
  • Description of the problem
  • Copy of the meter receipt, if available
  • Documentation showing overpayment, such as a copy of the credit card statement, if applicable 

Send your request and supporting documents to:

DOT Parking Administration
Muni-Meter Refunds
34-02 Queens Boulevard
Long Island City, NY 11101

The Department of Transportation (DOT) will investigate your claim and send you a letter of determination.

NYC DOT does not accept complaints about parking meters in Brooklyn Bridge Park or Roosevelt Island. 

For complaints about parking meters in:

You can request:

  • Installation of new parking meters
  • Removal or relocation of existing parking meters


Contact the Department of Transportation.

By Mail

Mail your request to:

Department of Transportation Commissioner
55 Water Street, 9th Floor
New York, NY 10041

 Was this information helpful?   Yes    No